Thursday, July 10, 2008

Boys will be boys

You know how some magazines feature an "embarrassing moment" section, where readers write in with the appalling things that have happened to them? Well, I had one of those moments yesterday. Funny thing is, I wasn't even there when it happened.

I get in the car with my two children after picking them up from day camp. Hayley proceeds to tell me that Hunter told three of his friends an interesting fact that day during playtime. He said, "My mama has BIG boobs." He used hand gestures too!

Now, before you judge me, let me assure you that we do not use the word "boob" in our house. I was not even aware that Hunter knew the word. And no, we do not condone talking about our mothers in such a personal way in our family. We actually do have strict behavior and speech standards in our home. Yes, maybe there is some way I could have done something better as a parent to prevent this, but it's said and done.

I am glad that a teacher did not overhear this comment, or I would have faced more mommy guilt. But to be COMPLETELY honest, although I was stunned, it was kind of humorous to picture my little five-year old baby-faced boy in that situation. I just pray that it is not a sign of locker room moments to come, if you know what I mean. I could not handle it! I sent Jay a text message so that he could have a "talk" with Hunter later. And do you know what he wrote back??? "Well, it's true. At least he wasn't lying." Aaaghhh! Men!! No wonder!

If you have children, PLEASE reassure me that your kids say unbelieveable things too, sometimes. If you don't have children, get ready!



post signature

7 comments:

Morgan Holt said...

HA HA! Very funny! Emmersen knows that word too. Walking down one of the aisles at Walmart, Emmersen announced "I see your boobies, momma!" I immediately looked around and told her that we do NOT say that. I was mortified but was glad that I didn't see anyone in sight. However, I'm sure you could hear it three aisles over as well. You never know what your child will say! :)

Anonymous said...

I know exactly how you feel. You wouldn't believe some of the things that came out of my child's mouth.... :-)

I love you.

Dad

ashley said...

cracking me up! unfortunately, i don't think my kids could ever say that about me!

Stacy said...

Too funny. I'll refrain from telling all the crazy things that Jacob has said, but I'm unlikely to get a big boobs comment!

Christy Brockman said...

Just so you all know....the pregnancy enhances them quite a bit.

Leslie said...

I think you did everything you could to keep such comments coming from his mouth, but unfortunately you can't screen kids all of the time, so they are going to say things that you don't like. This is really easy for me to say since I don't have any kids (yet).

Christy Brockman said...

I know...it's not like I can just say, "Hunter, just in case you may decide to say it one day....ahh...it's NOT okay to say your mom has big boobs," you know?