Thursday, April 17, 2008

I told you so

My friends and family can tell you that in my “younger years,” it was almost impossible to wake me up in the mornings. My good friend Jenna endearingly nicknamed me “The Beast” when we lived together in college. My poor dad had to deal with me morning after morning in junior high and some of high school. It took me a good hour or more to get myself ready to talk to people. I was pretty grumpy. However, one day, I just automatically morphed into someone else. This day was October 18, 2000. The day my daughter was born. It wasn’t intentional (the morphing), it just kind of happened. Don’t get me wrong, I still don’t care for mornings. But once I’m up, I might as well be ready for the day. I took on a new attitude. A good attitude.

Remember that little saying about how your children will be your parent’s revenge? Yep. It happened to me. My dear, precious daughter has this way of really getting under my skin in the mornings. It’s not so hard to get her out of bed. It’s the fact that she decides on the days that I’m most rushed –to get a little picky on me. I think she senses it. She knows I’m hurried. Then she strikes. She is such a sweet girl –but she IS a girl. And sometimes I feel that she is picking on me. For instance, the other day, it was a little cold outside. So I picked out her favorite long sleeve, thin shirt to wear that day, and ironed it for her wear. About 1 minute before we need to leave, it starts “itching her.” Or sometimes it’s her socks. They aren’t lined up on her toes just so, and they are driving her crazy. Or the adorable headband with the bow that I picked out for her to wear just doesn’t “feel right.” Or her head hurts. Or her leg hurts. Or she just feels like crying (I can’t wait until the hormones kick in). You get the point. It ALWAYS happens on those days when you’ve got to move it. Just call me “Sergeant Mom.” That’s how I feel most days. I don’t think its working. Patience is not one of my strong suits.

Well, I had to vent about that. I’m sure some of you who knew me way back when are getting a kick out of this post. Check out the post below – that’s where I make up for my gripes and brag on this daughter of mine.



post signature

5 comments:

Robert Channing said...

I love this post. As you can imagine, I was reading it with a big grin on my face. I'd love to see you in action as a mom. I bet you're amazing!

Sherri said...

Hayley sounds alot like your mom in her "younger days". I never did understand how socks could "hurt"!

You are fantastic!

Love you bunches!

Anonymous said...

I have a huge grin onj my face, right now. I remember all of those tortuous mornings when you just couldn't face the day (most of them). I also remember singing to you, and really getting under your skin.
Just remember...."This is the day that the Lord has made. We shall rejoice and be glad in it." I loved having you repeat that every morning on the way to school. It actually helped, sometimes.
Love you girl, and yep, it does come home to roost.

Dad

Anonymous said...

Trust me...I know how you feel.

(Of course, I know all too well how she feels too :)

Mom

Jenna McGarvey said...

Oh my, I think Haley and Madie went to the same class on how to torture their moms. Ben and I got a laugh out of this because it is Madie to a "T".